Monday, August 4, 2014

Monday Inspiration: Louise Gadbois

Louise Gadbois, Woman with a Mandolin, (source)
Louise Gadbois, Femme au plateau des fruits (source)

Louise Gadbois (1896-1985), studied with Edwin Holgate, and John Lyman exhibited in Montreal and Quebec, interestingly she also did an exhibition with her daughter- Denyse Gadbois. She was best known for her portraits- which I think are very Modigliani-esque. I love her brushwork though, rough and choppy- I think it takes guts to let that much roughness into your portraits- most people prefer a more traditional look when it comes to that type of painting, landscapes are fine as rough as ever, but there's something about portraits that makes people yearn for a delicate touch.

Monday Inspiration 2014 is all about Canadian artists. Each Monday I'll pick a new one to profile- If you can think of any that you think I ought to look up- please let me know in the comments- I'd love to hear from you. You can find a list of the artists I've done so far here.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's interesting that her style looks naive, while the woman portrayed still look sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete