Friday, August 3, 2012

Poppies







These Poppies were grown from seed we collected least year. I have three rows of pretty thickly seeded flowers out in the garden next to the peas. I could collect the seeds to eat, or just to grow again next year. These will self sow pretty prodigiously, even if you collect the heads- somehow a few always manage to escape and get past me. But they are pretty spectacular looking, and they are the easiest seeds to collect, I just snip the seed pods once they dry out and keep them in a Ziploc bag. they do finish blooming pretty early, but the seed pods themselves are quite nice looking too, so it doesn't bother me. I've heard that you could cut the flowers to bring them inside, but I imagine the mess those thin red petals would make once they were done would not be great- and I don't think they'd be very long lasting.

I can't tell you what variety these are- I think when I first bought them- years ago- they were a mixed colour package, with salmon and white as well as red- but have managed to select out to just red pom pom style flowers, which are lovely all on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment