Thursday, May 1, 2014

In the Garden 2014: the seed list


This post will be simple- just a list of all our seeds for this year- new bought or from saved seed- whatever we're putting into the garden this year- mostly for record purposes. I'll certainly post photos and descriptions of the Tomatoes as they ripen- maybe some other things too. I've also edited this list to add the seed starting method I've used- which is not to say that it's the method that should necessarily be used- but that I'm trying it out- I'll post again to report on how they work.

Here's the Key:
W = Winter Sowed (this is the thing that I do with milk jugs in the winter you can read about it here)
I= started inside about 8 weeks before last frost- or sooner depending on type
D= direct sowed to garden (or will be when it's warm enough to do so)


Perennials:
'Ostritch Plume' Astilbe
'Hansa' Rose
'Morden Blush' Rose
'Tophat' Blueberry
Hazelnut
'Willoughby' Black Currant
'Thomas' Pear
'Minnesota 447' Apple
'Rosthern 18' Apple
'Goodland' Apple
'Northline' Saskatoon
'Fredonia' Grape
'Johns' Elderberry
'Manitoba Native' Grape
'Chung Bai' Kiwi

Herbs / Flowers:
Edible Dianthus- W, I
Jacob's Ladder- W, D
Rhodiola (roseroot)- W
Arnica Montana- W, I
Golden Feverfew-W
Bayberry-W, I
Greek Mullien-W, D
Marshmallow-W, I
Elecampane- D
Common Comfrey-W, I
Red Clover-D
Clary Sage- I
Salad Burnet-D
Summer Savory-D
Cicilian Parsley-I
Sweet Marjoram-W
German Chamomile-W, D
Purple Coneflower-W
Swamp Butterfly Weed-W, D
Joe Pye Weed,W,D
Common Valerian, W, D
'Nora Barlow' Columbine, W
'Ukrainian' Hollyhock, W, I, D
'Cactus' Zinnia- D
'California' Zinnia-D
'Arikara' Sunflower-D
Snapdragon-I, W
'Giganteum' Poppy-D
'Mikado' California Poppy-D
Creeping Thyme-W
Lavendar Lady-W
Agastache Foeniculum-W
Lemon Balm-I,W

Also these ones- which I almost forget about because they are so essential and because they self seed (hopefully)
Bachelor's Button, mixed
Nigella
Calendula
Red Peony flowered poppy
Borage

Melons:
'Moon and Stars' watermelon-I
'Sweet Siberian' watermelon-I
'Small Shining Light' watermelon-I
'Scaly Bark' watermelon-I
'Gnadenfeld' muskmelon-I
'Cershownski' mukmelon-I

Tomato:
White Currant-I
Stupice-I
Spanish Winter-I
Riesetomate-I
Purple Calabash-I
Principe Borghese-I
Persimmon-I
Mystery Keeper-I
Fuererwerk-I
Druzba-I
Carbon-I
Amish Paste-I
Ivory Pear (saved seed)-I
Arbuznyi (saved seed)-I
Ferris Wheel-I
Pearly Pink (saved seed)-I
Costoluto Genovese (saved seed)-I
Pirkstine Orange (saved seed)-I

Squash:
'Galeaux D'eysines' winter squash-D
'Arikara' winter squash-D
'Black Beauty' zucchini-D
'Bennings tint' scallop squash-D

Peppers:
Alma Paprika-I
Red Ruffled Pimento-I
Cayenne-I

Radish:
Turnip Rooted-D
Watermelon-D

Peas:
Blue Podded Capucijners-D
Carouby de Mausanne-D

Cucumber:
Ephraim Hall-D
Lemon Apple-D

Corn:
Simonet-D
Pennsylvania Dutch Butter- popcorn-D

Beans:
Vermont Cranberry-D
Snowcap-D
Heritage Dore-D
Good Mother Stallard-D
Canadian Wild Goose-D
Blue Coco-D

Cabbage:
Late Flat Dutch-I
Mammoth Red Rock-I

Broccoli:
De Ciccio-I

Cauliflower:
Snowball-I

Celeriac:
Giant Prague-I

Greens:
Kale 'Lacinato'-D
Swiss Chard 'Five Coloured Silverbeet'-D
Spinach 'Bloomsdale' (from saved seed- we'll see how it grows!)-D
Lettuce 'White Paris Cos'-D
Lettuce 'Reines Des Glace'-D
Lettuce 'Mascara'-D
Lettuce 'Bath Cos'-D
Mustard Greens-D

Beets:
'Bulls Blood' (saved seed)-D

Carrots:
Atomic Red (saved seed)-D
Nantes Coreless-D




6 comments:

  1. How many of these have you started and how many will you direct-sow? I bought some seeds I intended to start a month ago, but in the end, only got the tomatoes underway. You have a great selection of everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I edited the list include starting method- thanks for the idea to include that! It will be so much better for my own records too.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that is a big list. I love starting seeds in the green house and watching as they germinate then setting them off outside where they will live in the sun. Last year all my seeds that were started got lopped off by mice so I'm a little hesitant about doing the extra. Your little plants look enticing enough to get me started though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so satisfying to start those little suckers from seed- but sometimes it's a big bummer too- as when last years Eggplant didn't produce one fruit, and this year's didn't germinate at all! (maybe it's a sign I should give up on eggplant?!)

      Delete
  3. That should keep you busy all spring and summer and fall. We're actually paring down our plantings a bit this year as we had a very hard time harvesting and preserving everything last year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Believe it or not we thought we were paring down too! and we are a bit- we've got more varieties- but less plants in total than last year.

    ReplyDelete