Wednesday, September 1, 2010

One Small Change: September




My One Small Change for this month is going to do with the garden, I would like to use and properly store as much from the garden as I can. This may seem like a no brainer- but actually last year- the onions and potatoes we harvested froze in the garage while we were trying to sort out a space inside for them- it was such a shame, I'm determined not to let it happen again.

My onions are already out, and they're hanging to dry in the shop, the beets have been harvested and are being stored in damp sand in a rubber maid container, and we've frozen enough corn on the cob to last us all year. I've grated and frozen zucchini, beets, and Swiss chard, and I still have more to do. I've bought burlap sacks for potatoes and we've got some bins for the squash. But for the most part what I need to focus on is learning a space for everything- we've got a room downstairs that is just storage, and I need to tidy and organize to make space for everything. Fall is perfect for this I think, I'm actually kind of looking forward to clearing out some spaces and giving them a new purpose.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I really need to get better about storing! Your photos are so great...LOVE those onions! I hope your September change goes great and I look forward to hearing how it goes!
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete