Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Blue Eyes

There's been an unexpected bonus for me in becoming a mom; seeing the world through my baby's eyes. Part of what fascinated me about being trained as an artist was the way it opened up my eyes to the world around me. I was training my eye to see details, and it was like getting a new lease on life- everything was exciting- the most drab day could be turned around by careful observation of the way that light hit my coffee cup.

But after a few years of Art school- it got old again. Somehow in the work required to get a degree, I tuned out the simple joy of observing the world, I got absorbed in other aspects of art, and forgot that the most important and joyful part of creating art is observing the world.

I love that part of art making- and through my daughters eyes I'm getting to relive that 'awakening'. It's a gift I didn't expect, and one that I'm so grateful to her for.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! They certainly do give us a whole new perspective on everything if only we let them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic - so glad you have decided to do this.You will especially be glad you did when you look back at it years into the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree when I go for a walk with the small people I get to see things I would never have noticed, sometimes it can take a long time to get a few meters because there is so much to look at

    ReplyDelete