Monday, November 18, 2013

Sketchbook: tiles






Designs for the tiles for the kitchen- plus some extra designs just for fun. I'm having a bit of a hard time deciding what the final tile will be-  I think I'll end up making a few designs and molds and deciding after they get the glaze on. It's a tough thing to mentally translate these designs into the finished product- because the dark lines will, of course, end up just as raised relief, so it's won't look as busy. The sketches are a pretty basic diagram of the finished product, which will be all one colour (probably white- or some pale variation thereof), with the design carved in bas relief.

The larger tracing paper allows me to see the whole pattern together- to make sure that things line up etc. It's also useful for transferring the images- (and for making me reel back in horror when I see how 'seventies' the pattern appears in black and white- not to worry- it's much more classic looking when carved).

posting along with Jane.


2 comments:

  1. oh these are fabulous! can't wait to see them finished and the process to that! thank you for linking up over at my place xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous designs! I can't wait to see the finished piece.

    Makes me want to get my pencil and paper out and start drawing. I so rarely do that anymore.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete