Sunday, January 16, 2011

Monday Inspiration: Nook Jackson









I think it's time for me to bring back some art on Mondays, so here goes I'll kick off with someone personal, Erna Nook Jackson. These paintings are some that we started collecting a few years ago- by a female artist- of some connection to A.Y. Jackson. They're landscapes and they're really painterly works. I'm not sure what her history is, but it seems likely to me that she was trained at least a little bit- and her works were informed by the group of seven- that particular style of paintings.

They're lovely works- very free, and complex- yet simple- she's given just enough marks to imply great detail, without complicating the scene. I find the works themselves inspire me to paint- they remind me of the reasons I love to paint, and what I want my own works to be like, they're like touchstones for me- something that encourages and centers my paintings.

1 comment: